It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power. ALAN COHEN







Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cochabamba

I am in the city of Cochabamba and studying Spanish at the language school of Runawasi. I am here for 3 weeks of classes, but I am now halfway through with my time in Cochabamba. I have 4 hours of Spanish classes in the morning and then I have the afternoons free. Usually I walk around the city with the others in my group in the afternoon. Our classes are all one-on-one with a different teacher each day. We study different verb tenses and Spanish grammar, but my teachers also like to talk about different issues of Bolivia or the history of Bolivia. I really enjoy these classes although sometimes after 4 hours of studying/listening to/reading/speaking Spanish my head hurts! Cochabamba is a really neat city with mountains all around it. There are also lots of random dogs walking around my neighborhood and some of you know how much I like to see strange dogs looking at me as I walk by them (for those of you who don't know, I do not like this at all). I am living with a host family for these three weeks and my host mom is an older woman whose children are all grown up. She is so sweet and loves to take care of me. She cooks amazing Bolivian dishes and also gives me fresh squeezed orange juice every morning. She greets me by calling me 'mi amor' or 'mi hijita' (my love, or my little daughter). I have enjoyed my time spent with her and her family. She likes to tell me stories, and we also watch 'Little House on the Prarie' in Spanish everyday. So far I am enjoying my time in Bolivia as I learn more about this country and the people who live here.

2 comments:

  1. Yea! Glad things are going well! You'll have to give the dogs your 'teacher look'. I tried that at a scary dog once.

    Okay, it didn't really work. But you can try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep stalking your blog to read updates. I can't wait until you are back in Santa Cruz so I can hear about your experiences there. I want to hear all about what's going on there, how my Bolivian friends are doing, and what work you will be doing. I may be as excited as you are. :)

    Gina

    ReplyDelete